Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Large Bird Nest made from Wire

For the past week or so I have been testing my bird-like skills by building a nest from bits of wire. The nest is about 80cm across and is super heavy. I am currently building a second one that is larger. The act of making this nest has made me contemplate how we arrange our homes, what we bring into our homes, what we decide to display in our homes and what things we discard from out home space. I read the book  "Home" by Witold Rybczynski years ago and it has profoundly influenced my nest series. The concept of "home" has always intrigued me and has been something I wanted to explore. His book Waiting for the Weekend has also influenced my work countless times.

This nest will be included in my exhibition in conjunction with the Northern Saskatchewan Children's Festival. 

I have 5 other large nests that I plan on building and will work on them in the approaching winter months.